Basketball

Football

California Democrat

California High School

Jefferson City News Tribune

 

California Pintos Online

 

Basketball History

 

The California High School boys started playing basketball in the 1906-1907 school year. In the early years, less than 10 games a year were played. As of the 2016-17 school year, the boys have completed 111 seasons of basketball.

 

The California High School girls started playing basketball in the 1907-08 school year. Like the boys, in the early years, less than 10 games a year were played. Starting with the 1945-46 school year, basketball was replaced with softball. Then, for the 1973-74 season girls basketball returned and softball was discontinued. As of the 2016-17 school year, the girls have completed 79 seasons of basketball.

 

 

Gymnasiums

 

Games were played exclusively outside until the 1914 Aurora High School was built. It included a small indoor gym where the walls were out-of-bounds and spectators watched from a balcony area.

 

California newspapers indicate some games were still played outside into the 1920s. At that time, there appears to have been a building boom as it reports several area schools building new facilities that included gymnasiums.

 

When the 1914 Aurora High School building burned in January 1929, a new, larger gym was included in the "new" school building. This gym is the one many people remember as the "old gym" today.

 

When this gym became too small and additional classroom space was needed, a "new" gym was built in 1963-64. This is now the Middle School gym.

 

With the moving of the High School to its present location on the west side of California, yet another gym was required. This gym was built in 1993 and saw its first games in January, 1994.

 

 

Naming of the Pintos as mascot

 

The high school teams were referred to as the "California Athletic Teams," "boys basket ball team" or "girls basket ball team" until the latter part of the 1926 school year when the faculty had a contest to name the athletic teams. The name Pintos was chosen because of its strength, grace and historic ties to the native people of the Central Missouri area.

 

 

Formation of the Tri-County Conference

 

The Tri-County conference  was created in the 1920s with teams from Moniteau, Morgan and Miller Counties including California, Tipton, Versailles and Eldon as members. There were probably more schools that cycled through as members prior to 1966 but have not yet been discovered.

 

Conference members through the years:

Stover from at least 1948-1965

*It has not been found when they left the conference*

Iberia from 1966-1976

Windsor from 1970-1973

Blair Oaks joined in 1976

Warsaw joined in 1980

Camdenton dropped from conference in 1982

Tipton dropped from conference after 1999-2000 season

Southern Boone and Hallsville joined in 2012

Warsaw is leaving after the 2017-2018 season

Boonville will join for 2018-2019 season

 

 

Boys Highlights:

 

2nd Place in Class M in 1964-65
29-1 record in 1964-65 season
29-1 record in 1988-89 season
Advanced to State Quarterfinals 6 times (1953-54, 1969-70, 1973-74, 1988-89, 1989-90 & 2011-12)
Advanced to State Sectionals 3 times (1972-73, 1974-75, 1987-88)
122 - Most points scored in a game (vs Fatima in California Tournament of 1965)

 

 

Girls Highlights:

 

2003-04 - 3rd Place in Class 3
2008-09 - 4th Place in Class 3
Advanced to State Quarterfinals twice (1982-83 & 2011-12)
Advanced to State Sectionals 3 times (1990-91, 1992-93, 2009-10)

 

 

 

Boys Yearly Results

Boys Results by Schools

 

Girls Yearly Results

Girls Results by Schools

 

 

 

Send email to Pintosonline with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright 2006- California Pintos Online, All Rights Reserved.

Last modified: March 19, 2017